Make a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of people each year!
Become part of a growing, committed group of volunteers at the Brandywine Zoo. We invite you to explore the Zoo's volunteer opportunities and docent program. The Brandywine Zoo depends on people like you for support of its commitment to providing excellent care for our animals, a great experience for visitors and a better future for all living things.
continuing education opportunities, training, field trips, making new friends and helping animals and our environment through education.
For more information about our volunteer opportunities, visit www.destateparks.com.
Join us at an upcoming open house
to learn more about our volunteer program and internships
- Education Volunteers (Docent Program)
- Summer Zoo Camp Internships for High School and College Students
- Group Volunteer Opportunities
- Must be at least 13 years old
- Must pass a background check.
- If under 18 years old, application and background check must be signed by parent/legal guardian.
- Must attend a required training.
- Must attend volunteer meetings.
- Must adhere to the uniform policy as described in the training course.
- Be friendly, enthusiastic and dependable.
- Do assigned tasks as agreed upon with the Zoo Education Staff.
How to Get Involved!
- Optional: Attend a volunteer open house. Open houses are held every other month. See below or visit our calendar of events.
- As a member of Delaware State Parks, all volunteers for the Brandywine Zoo must first apply through DE State Parks. For more information on DE State Parks volunteer program requirements, please visit their webpage.
a. Complete the DE State Parks Volunteer Application. Group leaders should complete this form, too.
b. Volunteers must pass a background check administered by DE State Parks.
- Complete the volunteer information sheet, which covers areas of interest and availability.
- Meet and interview with education staff (can be done at open house).
a. Approved volunteers will be then invited to attend new volunteer orientation.
Volunteer Open Houses
Sunday, March 16, 12:30pm - 2:00pm
The Brandywine Zoo Education Department is looking for dedicated individuals 16 years of age and older who are mature, responsible, motivated, knowledgeable, enjoy working with and can engage the public (particularly children), likes the outdoors, and are passionate about the environment and wildlife conservation. Join us on the third Sunday of every other month at an open house to learn more about volunteer opportunities, speak with staff, ask questions about the program, and review the steps to our volunteer application process!
Interested applicants may complete an online Volunteer Application if they choose to do so ahead of time. Please note, volunteer opportunities are contingent upon successfully completing application process, including a background check. For more information please email the zoo at DNREC_Parks_ZooPrograms@state.de.us.
Summer Zoo Camp Internships (ages 14 - through College)
The Brandywine Zoo's Education Department is looking for committed people to fill a select number of internship positions for Summer 2014. The Zoo's unique internship program offers a chance to work in the zoo assisting with our summer day camps. After successfully completing the application/interview process, all selected interns must attend the mandatory training sessions on Saturday, May 17 and 24, 9am-4pm (No exceptions!) For more information please email DNREC_Parks_ZooPrograms@state.de.us
For more information please see our Volunteer Information sheet
. Interested applicants may complete and return for further information about our Volunteer Program.