Brandywine Zoo Volunteer Program
Title: School Programs and Tour Guide Volunteer
Reports to/Department: Under the supervision of the Education Curator, reports to lead Education team members as assigned.
Position Description: The Brandywine Zoo is seeking dynamic and engaging volunteers to assist our education team with school programs and guided zoo tours. These volunteers will support our school programming by assisting educators in the teaching of standards based lesson plans, lead STEM based learning activities, and providing guided tours throughout the zoo. School Programs and Tour Guide Volunteers may also be asked to provide other zoo tours for member events, public events, and daily visitors. We're looking for volunteers with great people skills (especially with children!), able to work as part of a team and independently, energetic, positive, creative, and have a passion for animals and wildlife conservation!
This Opportunity is GOOD for People Who:
- Work with and assist zoo educators in teaching and leading Discovery Tours and other school programs.
- Lead guided tours through the zoo for groups up to 30 people.
- Provide accurate information about our animal collection in an age-appropriate and engaging manner.
- Review, study, and learn provided program materials. This may include standards based lesson plans and animal fact sheets.
- Share animal facts and other educational information as it relates to the program in a clear and concise manner.
- Assist zoo educators with classroom set-up and breakdown for assigned school programs. This may include but is not limited to: preparing materials, making copies, arranging chairs, pulling biofacts and other program supplies.
- Perform other program related assignments as agreed upon.
- Like sharing their learned knowledge with people of all ages.
- Enjoy public speaking and teaching others in small to large groups.
- Have any type of teaching experience, whether formal or informal.
- Like to read and learn interesting animal facts!
Training: Volunteer must complete New Volunteer Orientation with the Education Department and shadow a minimum of 3 school programs before their final evaluation.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication).
- Able to professionally represent the Brandywine Zoo in all interactions with visitors, staff, and other members of the community that may visit the zoo.
- Able and willing to read and follow verbal and written work instructions and work independently.
- Able and willing to follow standards based and grade specific lesson plans.
- Able and willing to speak in front of mixed age audiences.
Required Time Commitment: Minimum of 1 shift every other week during peak season, April through August. Minimum of 1 shift every month during the months of September through March.
Shift Times: Typically, 9:30am - 12:30pm and/or 12pm - 3pm
Scheduling: Based on availability and agreed upon scheduled with Education Curator and Education Department.
All volunteers must complete the DE State Parks Volunteer Application. Volunteers must also complete and pass a background check administered by DE State Parks. For more information, please visit www.destateparks.com/volunteers.
Email us at Education@BrandywineZoo.org.