Reports to/Department: Under the supervision of the Education Curator, reports to lead Education team members as assigned.
Position Description: The Brandywine Zoo is seeking interested volunteers who are looking to help us provide a great experience to our zoo guests. Greeters are highly visible and are among the first to welcome Guests into the Zoo while providing a sense of welcomed arrival. Greeters are stationed at the entrance of the zoo and may help provide directions, information, or ask visitors to participate in evaluations on occasion. We’re looking for volunteers with great people skills (outgoing), able to work independently, energetic, positive, friendly, and have a passion for sharing the wonder that is the Brandywine Zoo.
- Provides information and directions to guests concerning the Zoo, rules, programs, and events.
- Assist in answering questions from guests concerning general knowledge of procedures, locations, and information.
- Must be adept at handling guest inquiries in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Professionally represent the Brandywine Zoo while volunteering or when in uniform.
- Review and be familiar with zoo programs and events in order to provide accurate information.
- Perform other related assignments as agreed upon.
This Opportunity is GOOD for People Who:
- Enjoy talking with others in an exciting and engaging manner.
- Like meeting new people.
- Want to be an ambassador for the zoo and share their knowledge with others.
- Are independent, self-motivated, and require minimal supervision.
- Like to interact with both children and adults.
- 14 years of age or older.
- Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication).
- Able to professionally represent the Brandywine Zoo in all interactions with visitors, staff, and other members of the community that may visit the zoo.
- Able and willing to read and follow verbal and written work instructions and work independently.
- Able and willing to speak in front of mixed age audiences
Training: Volunteer must complete New Volunteer Orientation and participate in “on the job training”.
Required Time Commitment: Minimum of 30 hours of service per 4 months’ time (about 2-3 times per month)
Shift Times: 9:30am – 11:30am, 11:30am – 1:30pm, 1:30pm to-3:30pm (some flexibility with starts and end times).
Scheduling: Based on availability and agreed upon scheduled with Education Curator and Education Department.
To Apply: All volunteers must complete the DE State Parks Volunteer Application. Volunteers must also complete and pass a background check administered by DE State Parks. For more information, please visit www.destateparks.com/volunteers.
Questions: Email us at Education@BrandywineZoo.org.