Reports to/Department: Under the supervision of the Education Curator, reports to lead Education team members as assigned.
Position Description: The Brandywine Zoo is seeking interested volunteers who may have limited time availability but still looking to make an impact and help the zoo in a big way! Look no further and join our Special Events or “Special Ops” team by helping various zoo departments in successfully hosting events to our members and visitors. “Special Ops” volunteers assist with events like Boo at the Zoo, Noon Year’s Eve, Earth Day, Family Fun Nights, and much more! This may include working a craft table, game station, information station, handing our promotional materials, crowd control, and way finding. We’re looking for volunteers with great people skills (outgoing), able to work as part of a team and independently, energetic, positive, friendly, and have a passion for sharing the wonder that is the Brandywine Zoo.
- Assist zoo staff in the facilitation of assigned events.
- Set-up and/ or break down of event.
- Assisting with the staffing of stations or other event happenings
- Provide direction and answer visitor questions about event or zoo.
- Perform other special event related assignments as agreed upon.
This Opportunity is GOOD for People Who:
- Enjoy talking with others in an exciting and engaging manner.
- Want to be an ambassador for the zoo and share their knowledge with others.
- Are independent, require minimal supervision setting up zoo info and activity tables.
- Like to interact with both children and adults.
- Enjoy being creative/artistic, good at working with their hands, or have special skills to apply.
- 14 years of age or older.
- Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication).
- Able to professionally represent the Brandywine Zoo in all interactions with visitors, staff, and other members of the community that may visit the zoo.
- Able and willing to read and follow verbal and written work instructions and work independently.
- Able and willing to speak in front of mixed age audiences.
Training: Volunteer must complete New Volunteer Orientation with the Education Department and participate in “on the job training.”
Required Time Commitment: 6 events per year.
Shift Times: Will vary depending on type of event and length. Please note that some events may include evenings and/or weekends.
Scheduling: Based on availability and agreed upon scheduled with Education Curator and Education Department.
To Apply: All volunteers must complete the DE State Parks Volunteer Application. Volunteers must also complete and pass a background check administered by DE State Parks. For more information, please visit www.destateparks.com/volunteers.
Questions: Email us at Education@BrandywineZoo.org.