Reports to/Department: Animal Care Department
Position Description: The Brandywine Zoo Goat Yard Volunteers assist with visitor experience in the African Pygmy Goat exhibit. This includes but is not limited to helping children pet and interact with the animals, overseeing grooming sessions and helping keep the area clean. These volunteers may assist keepers in cleaning the exhibit or feeding the goats. Once you complete your short training session, you may volunteer as much as you like.
Rules to enforce are:
- Do not feed the goats – even leaves and nearby grasses
- Do not bring food or beverages into the goat yard, even if they are closed up
- Do not chase the goats
- Do not climb on or ‘ride’ the goats
- No strollers
- Children must be directly supervised by an adult at all times
- Petting and brushing of the goats is allowed in a gentle manner
- Climbing logs and stumps are for goats only
- ‘Goats Only’ Area is for goats only
- When entering and leaving the yard – only open one gate a time to prevent goat escape.
- Provide a positive, interactive experience between our guests and the goats
- Assist guests in having a fun, appropriate visit with the petting goats
- Greet guests, monitor the public and animals, instruct the public on how to properly interact with the animals, and get hands-on experience with goats
- Communicate any issues with zoo keeping staff
- Engage Zoo guests, providing exceptional guest service
- Wear Volunteer uniform
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Able to lift 25 to 50 pound bags with little to no assistance.
- Must pass a background check
This Opportunity is GOOD for People Who:
- Want to get beginners hands-on experience with animals.
- Have a regular reoccurring schedule (preferred, but not required).
- Have the ability to spend long periods of time outdoors.
- Have fun interacting with children and animals!
Training: Training required for this position prior to first shift with Animal Care Department.
Required Time Commitment: 2 shifts per month. Shift availability is twice daily with a hiatus during winter season.
Shift Times: 9:45am – 12:45pm or 12:30pm – 4pm
Scheduling: Sign up for shifts via VolunteerMark
- Networking opportunity and access to 180+ years of professional experience and knowledge via current zoo staff.
- Free access to all Delaware State Parks during internship or volunteer duration including Delaware Seashore and Fort Delaware.
To Apply: All volunteers must complete the DE State Parks Volunteer Application. Volunteers must also complete and pass a background check administered by DE State Parks. For more information, please visit https://destateparks.com/Volunteer.
Questions: If you have questions about volunteer opportunities specific to the Brandywine Zoo, please contact our Volunteer Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.