Reports to/Department: Under the supervision of the Education Department.
Position Description: The Brandywine Zoo Goat Yard Volunteers assist with visitor experience in the African Pygmy Goat exhibit. This includes but is not limited to helping children pet and interact with the animals, overseeing grooming sessions and helping keep the area clean. These volunteers may assist keepers in cleaning the exhibit or feeding the goats.
Once you complete your short training session, you may volunteer as much as you like. Shifts begin at 9:45am – 12:45pm or 12:30pm – 4pm.
- Provide a positive, interactive experience between our guests and the goats.
- Assist guests in having a fun, appropriate visit with the petting goats.
- Greet guests, monitor the public and animals, instruct the public on how to properly interact with the animals, and get hands on experience with goats!
- Communicate with zoo keeping staff of any issues.
- Engage Zoo guests, providing exceptional guest service.
- Wear Volunteer uniform.
This Opportunity is GOOD for People Who:
- Want to get beginners hands-on experience with animals.
- Volunteers who have a regular reoccurring schedule (preferred, but not required).
- Have the ability to spend long periods of time outdoors.
- Have fun interacting with children and animals!
- At least 16 years of age
- Able to lift 25 to 50 pound bags with little to no assistance.
- Must pass a background check
- Must demonstrate photographic ability by providing examples of work during an interview.
Training: Volunteer must complete New Volunteer Orientation with the Education Department . A brief goat yard training is required for this position. Training will occur on your first shift.
Required Time Commitment: 50 hours/year. This position is primarily offered during peak (daily) and shoulder (weekends) seasons, but not in the winter months.
Shift Times: 9:45am – 12:45pm or 12:30pm – 4pm
Scheduling: Work with the Education Department to sign up for shifts.
To Apply: All volunteers must complete the DE State Parks Volunteer Application. Volunteers must also complete and pass a background check administered by DE State Parks. For more information, please visit www.destateparks.com/volunteers.
Questions: Email us at Education@BrandywineZoo.org.