Reports to/Department: Reports directly to Animal Care staff and senior Maintenance staff.
Position Description: Volunteers assist in daily grounds keeping and building maintenance. Volunteers possessing special trade skills or experience may assist with more complex projects such as those involving carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, or painting.
- Complete odd jobs around the zoo using power and manual tools (provided).
- Communicate effectively with staff including listening to staff concerning landscape/maintenance need and coming up with a strong solution that meets zoo and animal care standards.
- Communicate effectively with zoo staff regarding animal and visitor impact of projects.
- Complete tasks in a timely manner always keeping human and animal safety and welfare as top priorities.
- Keep self-hydrated and safe according to safety protocols/guidelines.
This Opportunity is GOOD for People Who:
- People who enjoy being part of a team and willing to learn about zoo facility management.
- People who are happy volunteering outside in all the different weather conditions.
- Enjoy problem solving and challenging DIY projects
- Must be 18+
- Pass background check.
DISCLAIMER: Volunteers in Delaware State Parks are not considered employees of the State of Delaware, therefore the Division of Parks and Recreation does not provide Workers Compensation or any other insurance coverage for volunteers.
- Networking opportunity and access to 180+ years of professional experience and knowledge via current zoo staff.
- Free access to all Delaware State Parks during internship or volunteer duration including Delaware Seashore and Fort Delaware.
To Apply: All volunteers must complete the DE State Parks Volunteer Application. Volunteers must also complete and pass a background check administered by DE State Parks. For more information, please visit https://destateparks.com/Volunteer.
Questions: Email our Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org